Monday, May 14, 2018

Election Fever


It's election fever in Karnataka. It is much more entertaining and engaging than any sports I would say. We had to go back and forth to the voting booth to cast the vote as the queue was long and I was working from home. After the work we had to stand in line for 30 minutes before we could do the honour. And I amazed to see Bangaloreans have voted only 52% in the evening news. For me it looked like the whole population is out there that day. The evening passed by discussing and speculating the results; dissecting the exit polls; voting trend; all and sundry. So, tomorrow is going to be very very thrilling, the counting day. Hubby even decided to work from home.

Election always has been like a festivity for me since childhood. My father was politically aware person and his knowledge of State and National politics was wide and to the point. As long as I can remember it was our dinner table discussion. As a result, my mother is also now an authority on what is happening in the political sphere. Last week she asked me who is the candidate in my constituency for different parties. And surprisingly or not so surprisingly she knew them all, the candidates of major three political parties. It was the main topic in our daily conversations from a week at least. Hubby and I chat on politics most of the time even in off election seasons.

In the evening I called my mother to ask to whom she voted and she completely changed the subject to an upcoming family event. Both my parents never disclosed to which candidate they have voted. They said it is confidential and one should never reveal the secret. I'm happy that my mother has not changed her principles. I'm sure my father would have done the exact same thing though I know to which party they are affiliated to. Why I'm saying this is because as we returned from voting, our neighbor lady asked to whom we voted. I said one is not supposed to reveal that. That didn't stop her. She proudly disclosed her alliance. She is as old as my mother. She maybe innocent or ignorant. However, I have noticed in the past few years people brazenly disclosing the secrecy of voting especially younger generations. Do they even know it is against the rules of Election Commission? I think not. I'm beyond horrified when I see their secrecy flashing all over social media.

Well! these days you have to align yourself with one party, its like "Whoever is not with me is against me". You can't have a political conversations like two civilized human beings. It definitely was different in good old days. I remember because I have witnessed many thoughtful discussions among by father, grandmother, uncles, great uncles, aunts, relatives, and family friends. Now a days I make a point to keep my political and religious views to myself. Because larger population just don't understand the concept of Let's agree to disagree".

No comments:

Post a Comment