Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Blemished


Once upon a time a girl used to have flawless skin until she stayed in coastal part of the state where she was born and brought up. Then she decided to move to a city with lots of dreams and aspirations. Within three months into the city the pimples erupted all over her face. They were big, filled with pus. It would hurt and bleed regularly. She was worried a little but not to the extent of seeking medical help. She knew it is genetic as her father had the same issue as a youngster.

However, people around her started suggesting variety of treatments like antibiotics, herbal and home remedies, microdermabrasion, creams, peels. It didn't deter her. She was a level-headed girl who will do things when she wanted to do, no amount of goading will make her susceptible. When her mother saw it for the first time she was aghast and in tears. Her only concern was who will marry her ugly daughter now. Father was more composed, though he wanted her to consult a homeopathic doctor as he was more inclined towards that branch of medicine and genuinely believed that has cure for everything. For another year-and-a-half her treatments oscillated between allopathy, homeopathy, and Ayurveda. Result? Nada, zilch, zero. And one fine day acne disappeared leaving a cluster of marks on her face.

The second episode occurred after four years of first eruption. This time she did not go through the same hassle of treatments. She brought a cream called "Clearasil Ultra" over-the-counter. She doesn't remember how she came across this product, she just did. Three months into application and voila!, her face is clean and clear, but not unblemished. She had a boyfriend during this period who was not embarrassed or ashamed to be associated with her, just concerned.

Ten years after the first outbreak the acne decided to make its presence once again. This time she visited the dermatologist immediately because the doctor was able to tackle a skin condition of her mother's just a month ago. And she was too gorgeous too boot. Within a month the acne had to take its leave without causing much damage to blotched face. She now wonders when will be the next acne eruption.

The girl is your's truly. I never considered these acne attacks as a major turning point in my life. Even when I was suffering from this condition I was calm and collected. It never could break my confidence or spirit.  I never once felt ugly, unattractive, or hideous. That maybe because I never gave much importance to appearance or beauty. I always believed if you are born with good looks it's not your achievement, you might be having attractive parents, grandparents, or ancestors. Yes, occasionally I do cover them up with make-up, not because I feel less beautiful or I'm vain, but I'm in a mood for little dress up. And one friend said scars give me a youthful look. 

There was no remorse or anguish in my life during the acne saga because nobody gave me hard time about the condition. Almost all I knew and cared were kind and supportive. And I didn't heed much to what others may or may not say.  It may not be the same for others who are going through the same phase. I have heard people lose confidence, develop inferiority complex, and draw into a shell. If you are suffering from this condition definitely seek medical help. If that works you will be one happy person. If it does not it shouldn't matter either. It may all sound haughty and preachy when I say one should not let their looks define their personality. When we are able to accept our imperfection there is larger ambit for happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment