Tuesday, September 18, 2018

What Motivates Me-2

Image Source
I don't get up everyday just to go to work. It is given that it takes 1/3rd part of my day, and I would have slept a little longer if I don't have to go to work. However, there are other things which gets my attention and time, the things that keeps me very happy.

Films: Now I'm at the risk of being a bore who keeps repeating things. Everyone knows about my love for movies, which I inherited from my parents as both of them were cinephile. Another thing that worked in my favor is being born at the right time. Television was a novelty back then. As the millennial I get to witness the transformation from radio to tape recorder to black and white television to colour, doordarshan to cable channels, video cassettes to CDs. In the process I was fortunate enough to watch older movies of 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. Still I have missed aplenty of classics. I have watched mostly Kannada and Hindi movies. Tamil movies started with Roja, and  Telugu and Malayalam much later. And English movies once the HBO and Star movies came into existence in India.

Even today I get butterflies in my tummy until I reach the theater. And I've very little respect for people who are late to movies. Having a partner who is equally fanatic about films helps too. He introduced me to few genres like war movies, which I would not have ventured into if left alone and animation. I frowned upon people who said they loved cartoon films. Now I absolutely love both these genres. Watching movies isn't time pass for me. It's a cult and I'm an ardent follower. In a month I would watch at least 10 films and there are still so many thousands out there. As crazy as it may sound to others, this desire to see more motivates me. This obsession only a movie buff will understand.

Music: Who doesn't like music? Everybody does, right? So is in my world. I'm a music lover as long as I can remember. I was a great singer too according to me until sense prevailed. And good music was always appreciated at home, probably that is the reason we siblings have such a penchant for it. We were partners-in-crime in recording our favourite songs in audio cassettes. There was always music blasting from our home since the time immemorial. We weren't reprimanded by our parents to playing non-devotional songs early in the morning like my friends'.

Music evolves with time so my taste in them. Initially it was Indian filmi songs, folk, and light poetry. As I said earlier it was pre-google era and we couldn't get our hand on everything in a jiffy. Good songs are suggested and shared by friends and foes alike. Western songs became a rage with MTV India. I didn't grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bryan Adams, or AC/DC. They all came much later in life and when they did I lapped up to everybody like a true music lover. Needless to say one of the many things that draw to Hubby is his immense taste in music. It is he who nudged me to develop a liking for Sufi, Ghazals, and authentic classic. Till today we can sit and talk about music for ungodly hours.

Music is cathartic. It is like drug that keeps you always high and happy. People who think I'm an introvert haven't heard me talk about the word M. Like books and movies I need a daily dosage of music. I can't thank enough of the musicians and composers who created beautiful numbers that keeps billions of people happy and gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment