Friday, September 14, 2018

Friends-Episode 2

Image Source
This is a second part in a short series I have started. No, it's not a fiction on short story. Just jotting down few memories for posterity. I'm almost sure I will suffer from Alzheimer's disease in my old age if I make it beyond 60. If that happens I can always come back here and get a perception about my past life.

J: I joined a new school for my 4th standard. At that time I never felt the pressure or pain about making new friends. Or maybe I did, which I would have conveniently forgotten once I was happy in the new environment. My friendship with J was rather arranged if I think about it now. She used to stay with her grandmother. Those were the days before the pasteurized milk overshadowed each nook and cranny of small towns. To cut the long story short we agreed to buy milk from her grandmother as we were new to the place. The old lady arrived immediately the next morning to deliver the milk and ordered my mother to be introduced to all three of us. She lost her interest in my brothers pretty quickly. She was delighted to know I was in class 4th as her granddaughter also was in same class. So, as soon as I entered the classroom that day, a tall, lanky girl approached and initiated the conversation as per her granny's instructions. I was puny all my life, so I was in the first bench and she being taller was in the last. And she was in the same school for the last 3 three years and had her own set of friends. Still she walked back home with me twice a day, once for lunch and next at the end of the day. In the evening it was her chore to deliver the milk. While doing so she used to carry books on the pretext of doing homework with me and it was fun playing together until the dusk. On the days when it was very late, my y.brother and I drop her back at home. Even though it was arranged we got attached to each other real fast. It was assumed if I was not at home I would be at her place and vice versa. That happy period came to an end once I have decided to move to my Ammamma's place for next school year. Even so we met each other during Dasara and summer holidays for three more years, until my father got transferred to another town. I remember corresponding a few letters with her for a brief period, which stopped eventually. Sometimes I believe "out of sight, out of mind". In my 11th and 12th I get to hear about her from my high school best friend "R" as they were in the same college. Coincidentally my y.brother and J's y.brother were close friends in their college, so indirectly we knew what is going on in each others' life. In fact, this May I've met him at my SIL's baby shower and we talked about her for a bit. She is happily married now, stays in Singapore, and we chat occasionally on messenger. We say we will meet each other whenever she is in the city, which both of us know is never going to happen. Not because we don't want to. Her time will be limited and there will be so many obligations to fulfill as a daughter, sister, and daughter-in-law. And my calendar is chockablocked for at least five to six months in advance. However, I'm grateful for her to taking a like in the new girl and nurturing the relationship.

Like I said in my earlier post I just want my friends to be healthy, happy, and safe. There is absolutely no desire or inclination to know each and every minute details of their life. They all know I'm just a call or a message away to lend an ear without judging and dole out my pearl of wisdom (pun intended) about life, relationship, love, conflicts, all and sundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment