Saturday, September 22, 2018

To The Man Who Loved and Lived-Part 9

Image Source
During one summer holidays I get an idea to get my nose pierced. I wracked my brain trying to remember what triggered that idea. Nobody was talking about it at home. Nobody was very particular about getting one done either. I requested, cried, begged, and threatened my mother, Ammamma, aunt P and aunt B to no avail. I even skipped a day's meal as a protest. Have you noticed how they ganged up against a little kid? They were all so cruel. How could they dismiss my wish as if it was the least important thing in the world?

I was waiting for the arrival of my father the next week as he had to attend a family function. After hugging and exchanging pleasantries I pleaded my case. The rival team was quick to explain what transpired between us and how my behavior was unladylike. Now he was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. He tried to convince me by saying I was too young for that. I was 9 at the time. Tears poured down my cheeks like a river escaping the dam.  For me it would have been a defeat against adversaries, only it didn't. My father told me to get dressed immediately as we are going get the nose piercing done. My mother and Ammamma chided him for turning me into a total brat. He smiled through the entire charade without uttering a word.

Again, those weren't the days of big jewellery showrooms. It was two hours journey to-and-fro from our place to Taluk headquarters. We had our family goldsmith who designed gold as per our preferences. It took him less than a minute to prick the nose. I had just one teardrop throughout the process much to the astonishment of the goldsmith. I was even rewarded with an ice cream to bravely enduring the painful procedure. I had spring in my step while walking towards home and everybody welcomed us with a cheer.

I took off the nose ring at 21. For most young girls that is the age to get their nose pierced. I've this habit of doing everything in reverse order. When my father asked why I don't have nose ring, my answer was I don't like it anymore. He didn't preach or lecture me about it unlike my mother. If I can think now my father let me get away with almost everything. He gave us a lot of leeway to make our own decisions, but for a few, which he thought he knew better. Though a disciplinarian he was a cool dad to have around. Since we all three turned out hardworking, kind, and well-rounded human beings it is safe to say he was indeed a great parent. And that void nobody can fill. The pain of losing him is still intense even after two years.  It is just that we have learned to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment