Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Year That Was 2018

Image Source
Where shall I begin. One week into the new year, I met with an accident and broke my left arm. That was the time I realized the importance of being bouncy and healthy. I could get back to work within a month. I don't know what I did right, the life has blessed me with an amazing life-partner (Touch Wood). Hubby took the rein of everything and nursed me back to health. That was the new side of him for me to explore. During the same period, one of my uncles expired and I couldn't attend the last rites. He was suffering from chronic illness for quite sometime. In between the gap of 1-1/2 years, Ammamma lost two son-in-laws. That was the time when mother and aunt decided to start living together. And that lifted a lot of stress and anxiety off my chest.

In the month of March I started writing blog (this) again after a hiatus of 1-1/2 years. I have written a few posts about my father which is my way of chronicling the beautiful memories we created together. In a way it was cathartic, yet emotionally draining. The hope is one day I'll revist those posts and be able to smile.  This year total number of posts were 40, which I would rate as average. I got caught up with too many things in the last quarter. Again, I know it is an excuse.

We welcomed a new member in our family. If you've read my earlier posts you would be aware of this. I became an aunt for the second time to a cute little nephew (hence will be called nephew A) this August. In December we had his naming ceremony, which was attended by all near and dear ones.

The highlight of this year was traveling to Greece, my dream destination. Greece was in my top 3 list as long as I could remember. The capital Athens oozes of old rustic charm with historical significance. Walking in the Acropolis is a heady feeling, that can't be described in words. What could I say about Santorini, the most instagrammed city in the world? Other than this we traveled quite alright if I could say so considering my temporariy disability for the first three months. Mekedatu, Shivanasamudra, Mundgod, Karwar, Goa, Mirjan, Apsarakonda, Gandikota, Belum Caves, Tadipatri, Banganapalli, and Kanchipuram. Sadly because of hubby's new job we couldn't take our yearly vacation.

I fell short 4 books to reach my reading challenge of 50 books. This year I read different genres, few classics and few bestsellers. For me a book can be slow, dull, bland, but never bad. At the risk of being repetitive I've got say this, I need to read at least few pages everyday for my sanity.

Even I can't believe we've watched 150 movies this year. That is like one film every two days. The quality ranged from best to good to worst. I believe in the concept of I should see for myself before passing judgment on anything. On the Television series front I've seen the historical fiction "The Tudors"; four seasons of "How to get away with a murder"; first season of Big Little Lies, Sacred Games, and Young Sheldon. Have started "Narcos", but abandoned at the beginning as half of the conversation is in Spanish. And hubby strongly believes it is against his self-respect to watch with subtitles. Sigh....

This year saw me reconnecting with four of my childhood friends with whom I had lost touch for quite sometime. It was an amazing feeling to get to know about their life which I was not part of. All of them carried the same warmth and fondness and I was truly touched by their gesture.

Work kept me busy as usual. Again, I was nominated for best-employee of the year in a row without winning it. Since I'm neither ambitious nor workaholic it didn't take much of my mind-space.

The year 2018 had been very kind and generous. And now I'm hoping year 2019 will be even better and I intend to put all my energy and efforts to make it beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment