Monday, July 16, 2018

To The Man Who Loved and Lived-Part 7

Image Source
Until very recently I realized my father was not a rich man, monetarily. Why I was thinking otherwise because I got everything before I could even ask. I never went hungry in my whole life. I don't have any sad stories or struggles. I never had to lift my finger until I chose to. I always had enough money to splurge on. I never gave much thought about money, until I started working of course. My siblings and I had a very comfortable life, thanks to our parents.

Father was a central government employee. He joined the service at the tender age of 21. Though grandfather amassed a lot of agricultural lands, the constant inflow of money was scarce. Its all dependent on the rain, crops, and hardship. Father had 7 siblings, 6 younger and 1 elder. He had the responsibility to get them educated and married, which he did best to his ability. But his siblings' are like leeches, always hanging around and asking for money. I never liked them and quite vocal about my aversion. He knew they are manipulative and mean, but still let them have their way sometimes. Probably he believed in "blood is thicker than water". In addition to that he had a wife and three kids to look after. And I have to thank my mother here for running the household. She is no demanding, low maintenance, hardworking lady.

It was just 6 years before his retirement the salary got hiked when the sixth pay commission came into effect. By then we were all qualified and independent. He made sure to give me the regal wedding I neither dreamt of nor desired of. I never had to pay a single rupee for my wedding. I was lucky that way because I know some of my friends had to take wedding loan and are still repaying it, and few others' siblings shouldering the burden. I'm eternally grateful to him. And he did manage to do that with my siblings' weddings as well. Education and weddings are the two important things that eats away most of one's savings.

And he decided to built a house before retirement. Since he was a government officer we always had the quarters. The downside is we had to move once every four years. He was from old school of thoughts and believed a man has to built a home in his lifetime. So, that was done just after his retirement. He wanted to connect with his roots after many years of wanderness. He became a true farmer in every sense. For the first time I have seen many organic fruits and vegetables in his farm. Once I asked him whether he will be interested to go back to his government job? And his answer was no, he loves being farmer and he enjoyed it tremendously. He was very proud showing us around the estate. Mother used to complain about him spending most of the time in the field.  Fate had different plans. Four-and-a-half years into retirement, he was taken away from everything.

I knew he was not good at financial planning, another trait I carry from him. Good thing I married a financial whiz and don't have worry about money or investments. Dad never fretted much about savings mainly because he knew he will get decent pension which will be more than enough for him and mom. He is no more, yet he made sure mom is financially independent. We were all dependent on him for many things. That realization only hit us harder when he is gone.

He was a man who made us feel safe and secure in his protective cocoon. He was a man who performed all duties and responsibilities to a T, yet never missing on living and loving life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment