Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Furry Companion


We got a new puppy when I was in class sixth. The old Tommy just passed a few days before that. As long as I can remember he was old, sluggish, and droopy. It is just that I don't recall many things associated with him. Nonetheless he was a good doggy.

The new pup was very shy. As he was black I officially named him Blacky. I thought it was hep and trendy name for a pet. Within few days we have noticed he walks little differently. when We took him to the vet for examination, he told it is probably because he was weaned off his mother's milk too early and it could be a calcium deficiency affecting his bones. His advise was to give him an egg everyday and regular food. In those days Pedigree Petfood was unheard of. We are vegetarian family and mere mention of egg was frowned upon. Now Ammamma is a kind of person who believes what needs to be done should be done at any cost. So that responsibility was relegated to me and I was more than happy to oblige. Within six months' period Blacky's strength improved to a great extent. Back then there was no concept of keeping dogs as pets. They had to serve their purpose like barking at strangers, well that and that is it. He developed that skill early on, snarling at all and sundry but for the family members. Even though puny he looked ferocious and fierce, and neighbors started asking whether he is chained before entering the gate. Ammamma who is greatly paranoid is very smug and proud of Jackie.

Like all puppies he started following me all around. He was fast learner of basic commands like sit, stay, come, go. I even trained him to bring the newspaper, whoever saw it oohed and aahed, and I was proud as a peacock. When I am off to school he will come till gate to see me off and again at the gate wagging his tail to welcome me back home. The excitement he showed to see me is nothing but pure love. When I'm doing my homework, scattering books all over the floor, he always made sure to nestle in my lap. Even if I push him playfully, he made sure to snuggle back right then and there. The furry manipulator knew just how to melt my heart with his classic puppy dog eyes. He was a good fetch-the-ball player too.

I kiss him and he will be all over me slurping my face. It used to annoy my granny so much. She never approved of this unhygienic behavior, but blacky and I were a team. He has his own bed in a corner as he is restricted of entering bedrooms and kitchen. Every Sunday, it was my chore to give him a bath. He is not very great fan of bathing, just like me. He had his own soap and towel. The Lifebuoy soap that I use on him is worse than his furry stink. However, no amount of coaxing would make my granny to grant him other brands of soap. She even told me to exchange my soap with him if I'm that particular. I did not do that, what I did was using a dollop of shampoo in last round of bathing to give him a nice, fresh, and clean shower. And before bath I will go in search of tics and fleas from his body and kill them.

He was my childhood companion and he made me the better person I'm today with his unflinching devotion, loyalty, and love. I gave my little attention, care, time, and love of my whirlwind childhood, wherein what I got in return from him is multitude. I was in college when Ammamma called to tell me about his demise. I was in tears and none of my friends would understand the attachment or bonding I had with him as they never had any pet for themselves. He was able to live 10 years and I'm glad he had a happy and overprotective family.

My pet name for Jackie was Sundru (Handsome) that he was and he will be my handsome forever.

Being a non-parent one advice I would give to my parent-friends is gift your kids a puppy and books, and you don't have to worry about them being good human beings because that is by default they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment