Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Book Review-Crazy Rich Asians

Image Source

Title: Crazy Rich Asians
Author: Kevin Kwan
Genre: Young Adult
Publication: 2013

Blurb: When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor. 

On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers.

Two Cents: I picked this book very well knowing it is the first in the trilogy to be followed by "China Rich Girlfriend" and "Rich People problems". Presently I'm reading the last one. This series is ridiculously addictive. It takes a little while to know and understand Nick's family tree, the companies his family is associated with, what shitload of money they have. It talks a lot about designer clothes, bags, shoes, cars, private jets, extravagant resorts, exotic foods, all opulent things. At a point in time I was curious to go and confirm whether the writer is a designer himself or a gay. I know it is so stereotypical and I'm trying hard not to be one. I even started wondering has he done so much research on designer stuffs and couture culture or is it a sponsored writing on brands? After sometime I have realized it is an futile excise to convert millions and billions dollars to my humble Indian rupees.  

There are two things I agree with the writer on some level. One, older generation of the families are money-minded, pompous, and very specific about who they are friends with or who they get their children married to. On the other hand, the young guns of the family thinks otherwise and focus more what they really want. The second is how parents try to control their children, which is spot on in Asian culture. I can vouch for it being an Asian, yet I'm neither crazy nor rich. 

It has delicious drama and satire that kept me hooked to the book. While into it I found it is ridiculous and less credible, however, couldn't stop myself from picking up two more books in the series just to know how it ends. I skipped the denotation of both Mandarin and Malay as it was tedious and killjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing and appreciate the writer for giving insight into the Crazy Rich Asians, which might be all fictional or true. I could connect with the few places in Singapore having been there, though I have to say it is my least favorite city in the world. This book is addictive and super-fun read. If one is expecting life lessons or literary gratification just stay away from it.

PS: Film adaptation is in the making and likely to be released in August this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment