Wednesday, September 16, 2020

What's in a Name


 "That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.”-William Shakespeare

A colleague recently asked me to suggest names for her kid. If it was three years earlier I would have obliged too. Now neither I've the inclination nor the energy. I don't know what is that aspect people see in me. I've been constantly asked to take up the task to suggest names. It has been more than two decades since I was doling out my opinion. Many of them have picked from the pool and named their children. Whenever I hear about them in conversation it brings a smile on my face.

My father never understood the gravity of the situation. He ridiculed us when we were zeroing down on names for Nephew V. His opinion is what the title of this post makes "What's in a name". With the same attitude he named all his children, some are happy, some are not. EB wanted a simpler name for his child as he goes through the painful process of laborious name my parents bestowed upon him. The name we selected was simple, trendy, and cool. And in this eight years there are 3 people from far relatiion copying the same name. Sheer laziness of people I tell you. The unbelievable part is that those three people are first cousins. Despite all that our little nephew will be the original 'V'.

I'm not very fond of Nephew A's name. Not because it was not suggested by me. It is simple and trendy, but lacks the oomph.

In my college days I've written three novels, which were read by only close friends. And those who did named their children after my protagonists. None of them acknowledges it. My belief is that they want their son/daughter to grow up as strong and independent as my characters. If I can inspire and influence my reader to that extent, I must be a good writer. I take it as a best compliment.

Current trend is to name the child by combining parents' name. Though Raveena Tandon's parents started it 46 years ago, it became a rage after Shahid Kapoor named his daughter. In an attempt to coin this I have seen parents ridiculously naming their children. When I'm told the logic behind the name it was hard not to roll my eyes. No, I'm not insensitive to rubbish their selection on their face. I've a blog here for that, right?

It is my strong belief that expecting parents have already selected a name, one for each gender. Without revealing that they want to fish for more options. Nothing wrong in that. It is just that I don't have the patience to go fishing.

I beg to differ Shakespeare here. Giving a beautiful and meaningful name to a child is important as that becomes his/her personality. Just make sure that one day the grown-up child won't come to you and demands to know why you have given that particular name to him/her.

On the hindsight I'm happy with my given name and thank my mother for the choice. My father would have disappointed me here. And he was the man who uniquely names his Yakshagana characters. Priority of this man! 

No comments:

Post a Comment