Friday, April 20, 2018

Life Cut Short

Image Source

You often would have noticed WhatsApp messages supporting Modi and his government or funny memes mocking Rahul Gandhi telling us how stupid he is. Or Pro Congress messages in support of Raga and blaming Modi and government. We would have received thousands of these kind of forward messages and videos in the past 4 years. I read some and skip others. But you got the grit right? If it's funny I laugh and share it with the like-minded people. I have a very witty and strong response to each and every serious ones too, but I keep it to myself. Because you know different people different opinions.

This week a forward message boiled my blood and fire raged inside me. It is in support of the accused perpetrators in Asifa case. Now everyone knows about this if you are not living under a rock. The 8-year-old child was kidnapped, held captive for 3 days, given sedatives, gang raped, and brutally murdered. The girl was Muslim and the perpetrators Hindus, so in no time communal colour was given to the incident and protests broke in support of the criminals. 

I did not engage directly in an argument with this person. I forwarded another beautiful message which you read in the beginning. Like I expected he got offensive and defensive. Then followed a heated argument. I'm not the one to lose in a squabble especially when I know what that person did was wrong. There are always two angles to an incident, right and wrong. And what happened to that little girl is wrong, bad, and savage. I shudder to think something like this happening to my loved ones. It is an heinous crime against the mankind. How a human being can support the perpetrators? Its okay you follow some religion, it's okay if you associate yourself to a political party, it's okay to have opinions. However, it is not alright to cease being a human.

No other members of that group contributed to the discussion. They were mute spectators. I suppose many of them agree with me and rest disagree. Probably they have no opinion about the whole matter, but I had to make my voice heard loud and clear though no one cared to listen. I may have wasted my time in doing so, but you can't always think about benefits. I may have made myself an enemy to the above-said person and more, but what is the use of being friends with such persons? I may have made many people realized how strong-headed I'm, but I was never the ideal eye-batting/giggly girl anyways.

Also in another group a classmate posted something on the same line. Sadly he couldn't understand my message and it died down then and there. How I wish he could have picked up a fight.

Some may call this as my armchair activism. I was equally horrified and pained when Nirbhaya incident happened and many more after that. I always raised my voice whenever people blamed the victim for no fault of theirs. They can give all religious, political, communal colours to support this barbaric act. I shall continue telling otherwise as I have not lost hope in goodness of people. Justice should and must prevail for Asifa and girls like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment