Friday, June 3, 2016

Shadow Kiss

Source-Google

'I set off, off to kill the man I love"

"Shadow Kiss" is the third novel written by Rachel Mead in the Vampire Academy Series. These books are my second series in Young-Adult paranormal fantasy after 'Twilight', which I loved despite many negative reviews. The first two books in the series (Vampire Academy and Frost Bite) I completed last year. The mistake I made was watching the film adaptation and boy, it was nowhere near to the book. The main thing missing in the film was chemistry between Rose and Dimitri that is so volatile and palpable throughout the books. I decided to give it a break and moved on to other books.  And, I almost forgot about them until last week when I was organizing the shelf. Here I picked this up and once again pulled in to the vampire world.

Three important things to understand here are; Moroi, Strigoi, and Dhampirs. Moroi, vampires that are born, mortal, and alive. Strigoi are undead, immortal, and made. Humans, Dhampirs, and Moroi can be turned Strigoi forcibly. Dhampirs are half-human and half-vampire. They are trained to be guardians of the Moroi to fight against Strigoi.

Rose Hathway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend, Vasilissa, a Moroi vampire princess. They have been on the run, but are brought back to St. Vladimir's academy. A lot has happened since then. Now Rose is about to complete her graduation and be a permanent guardian to Lisa along with Dimitri. She had earned two Molnija tattoos for killing two Strigois in the "Forstbite". In contrast to her reckless and impulsive self, Rose tries to be more grounded and responsible. Her misery starts after seeing ghosts of Mason (her rumored boyfriend); Lisa's experimentation with magic using fifth element, spirit with Adrian; dealing with Adrian's advancement; possibility of their enemy, Victor Dashkov being free; and her feelings for Dimitri, her trainer that is frowned up and forbidden.

The reading is breezy, simple, and holds your attention. I'm just halfway through it and already knew it is going to be wonderful. Why it won't be when it has romance, action, magic, and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment