Sunday, June 21, 2020

To The Man Who Loved and Lived-Part 10

Image Source

It makes me angry if I see WhatsApp, Facebook or Instagram on Father's day.  People are all sharing pictures of their father or father of their children. I've nothing against anybody. It reminds me of my loss, which I'am unable to make peace with. The pain is constant. Only memories are to hold on to. Those memories are the treasure now.
My father had a weird sense of humor. He was not hesitant to bring upon death in conversation. Probably that is why we always make fun about our impending deaths and it was never shushed up. Whenever I called him to wish on Father's day he never says Thank you. He says Father's day is the day when one's father dies every freaking time. As I roll my eyes I could hear him guffawing at the other end. I could see his eyes crinkling and his body shaking with laughter. And we continue our chat like any other day. While growing up Father's day was not trending and it is a recent phenomenon. Still he never once said we are aping foreign culture by celebrating Father's day. Now you know how I become the global child.

Whenever I go home for holidays everyone in dad's office would know of my arrival. No, I'm not that nosy or loud. I always have this habit of painting both my parents' nails with latest splash. He would flaunt those colours proudly with elan announcing his daughter's visit. How many fathers will indulge their children's quirky nature in this way? I don't know any.

When his hair is grown a little I used to put a tiny pigtail on him. Yet, I didn't want his colleagues to see this. On appearance he looks serious, strict, fierce, and little scary. Only loved ones knew his soft, mushy, and childish side.

Many people don't know I started watching cricket for Rahul Dravid. I had a huge crush him. I never stuck any posters of him on wall or anything. And it would not even get noticed when you have two cricket fanatic brothers coexisting. Coincidentally I was vacationing at home when Rahul Dravid got married. And my father started pulling my legs by saying "Ah he is married now".

Same goes to Shahrukh Khan. He was my favourite since Baazigar. No, I didn't wait for Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge to happen. However, I never had any crush on him. And my father never missed a chance to make fun of him whenever SRK appeared on television. That would lead to a squabble and me sulking for the rest of the dinner. He used the same trick on my brothers who adored Sachin Tedulkar. It took us sometime to understand his tricks or probably we grew out of that adoring celebrity stage.

And he was our partner-in crime in wrestle mania. This theater form was introduced by my brothers and we're all hooked simultaneously much to the annoyance of mother. Even after we flew out of nest my father continued with this pastime. It was a delight to see him enjoying this mock combat and drama. He will be so engrossed in it shaking his head, laughing, cheering. And we discussed about it as if that is most important topic in the whole universe until the novelty of this drama faded out. Mother used scold us all saying we all have violent streak in our gene, otherwise how can anybody stand such an aggressive and rough show.  

As he is not coming back memory is all I've and memory is all I shall cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment