Thursday, February 11, 2016

Movie Time


Abhinetri: This Kannada film created a lot of controversy before the release. Claimed to be based on yesteryear star Kalpana, fondly called as 'Minugu Tare'. Produced by almost yesteryear actress Pooja Gandhi and her mother, Jyothi Gandhi. Pooja plays the lead role Nanda. I never liked Kalpana for once. My mom would have watched 'Sharapanjara' millions time and that is how I get to see her. An eccentric person, I'm told, her life ended tragically at a young age of 35. The movie is a total crap. All Pooja could have done is shed few kilos and allowed some dubbing artist to do the talking. Kalpana was a style icon and spoke Kannada fluently, sadly Pooja is neither. How her NRI-like accent fits an iconic character is beyond my intelligence level. Talented actors like Makarand Deshpande, Atul Kulkarni are wasted here.

Ouija: An English horror movie. It reminds me the hostel days when we friends tried calling the spirit, which never showed up by the way sans Ouija board of course. Nothing new, but quite okay.

Spectre: Latest installment in James Bond series. My ultimate Bond is Pierce Brosnan, so even this lean and mean Bond (Daniel Craig) could not hold my heart at a stretch. I am now just speculating who could be the next Bond.

ABCD (American Born Confused Desi):  A Malayalam movie, yet another Dulqar Salmar. Yes, I decided to finish DQ's films first and then move on to others. John and and his cousin Korah are born and brought up in US of A. They are total spoiled brats. Flagged by their tricks and irresponsibility, John's father decides to send them off to India on a false promise of holidaying. After realization of being duped, the duo will leave no stone unturned to get back to their motherland. There is nothing new in the story, but laudable film making. If I have to talk about Indian films in terms of quality, Malayalam tops the list.

Prem Ratan Dhan Payo: Quite contrary to all the negative reviews, I liked the movie. Salman plays the role of prince Vijay Singh and his doppelganger Prem Dilwale. Prem makes you smile throughout the movie with his simple, innocent attics. It is cliched and regressive at few places, which is not at all surprising as it is Rajshri'. Sooraj Barjatya yet again proved he still is the master of family drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment